grasping at space



  • If this is your first visit, click here to read "A corollary to the Jarvis Doctrine"
  • Monday, November 01, 2004

    the Tao, the law, and whatever else was on my mind...

    According to Zen Master Tsung Kao, the effort to obtain enlightenment is as useless as trying to grasp space with one's hands. I imagine that makes many people's lives -- well, mine, at least -- exercises in futility. Though it's entirely possible that seeking enlightenment is just incidental to trying to have a good time and make life worthwhile. But, if fun and enlightenment are mutually exclusive, I would rather have fun without enlightenment than enlightenment without fun. Or maybe that's just my midlife crisis speaking.

    My name is Kirk Jepsen. I am 34 years old. I have been unemployed for over a year, and I am studying to be a legal assistant. I am the father of a three-year-old girl who, I hope, will soon live in a country at peace for the first time in her life. Her eleven-year-old brother, I hope, will not have to register for the draft in seven years. I am trying not to be too concerned about things beyond my control, to concentrate instead on finishing my degree and going back to work so that I can support my children as they grow up in a steadily improving world.

    The purpose of this blog -- at this particular moment in time, anyway -- is to sort out my thoughts on my religious and political beliefs, and to post my already-sorted-out thoughts on religion, politics, literature, ethics, and law. The larger purpose, I suppose, might be to give me a reason to write on a more regular basis, since, once upon a time, I wanted to do this for a living. Likely, another purpose will come into being; the remarkable thing about ideas is their tendency to develop their own reasons for being expressed.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home