grasping at space



  • If this is your first visit, click here to read "A corollary to the Jarvis Doctrine"
  • Wednesday, November 03, 2004

    "No more cake"

    On the last night of the Republican convention, my kids and I were visiting my parents, listening to Bush's acceptance speech. At one point during the speech, where the President had paused to soak up the crowd's approval, the people started chanting "four more years." Athena turned to Grandma and asked, "Grandma, why are they saying 'no more cake'?"

    I was a bit sick last night, but I'm getting over it now that I think I understand what the problem was. The Presidential candidate I voted for lost, yes, but that's nothing new. I've voted in every Presidential election since 1988, and the only time I cast a vote for the winner was 1992. I backed Nader in 1996 and 2000, and when I reminded myself of that, I understood why I felt sick: I hadn't emotionally prepared myself for Nader to actually win the damned thing, so there was no letdown. And when I realized that, I felt better.

    Athena turns 3 on the twelfth. More cake!

    I get the impression that a lot of left-of-center people were expecting this election to demonstrate the power of an angry crowd. It did, just not in the way they expected. I was raised in an angry crowd known as Christian fundamentalism, from which I gradually broke away during my college years. That was the angry crowd that showed up at the polls to give Bush his mandate, and I've known for a long time just how scary and dangerous that crowd can be. I'm hoping that more people have awakened to that danger.

    On the other hand, many people who were aware of the danger were voting as if their lives depended on it, and those people are now very distraught at the thought of no more cake -- er, four more years. Most other election years, it would be very easy to shrug your shoulders at the results and say, "Oh well, life goes on." It's hard to say that while thinking about 9/11, Iraq, anthrax, loose nukes, hijackings, interim governments, shaky coalitions, and everything else, but I'm going to say it anyway. Life goes on.

    Life goes on.

    Nobody ever said anything about that life being human life. ;)

    Seriously though, Obama in '08. Especially if the GOP nominates Alan Keyes.


    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home